Code Frequently Asked Questions


  1. If I have a complaint, who do I call?

                You can contact the Bladensburg Code Enforcement of at 301-927-0330 or via e-mail @       


  1. To whom do I report a property with tall grass or trash and debris?

                Tall grass (9 inches or above) and trash, debris should be reported to 301-927-0330 for   investigation by the office of Code Enforcement 


  1. I have bulk trash that needs to be removed. Who do I call?

Bladensburg residents can contact Bates Trucking at 301-773-2069 to schedule an appointment for removal. Bulk trash is picked up every Friday and you must contact Bates no later than                      Thursday by 2pm the day prior.                                                            


  1. How many cars can I have on my property?

There is no limit provided the vehicles have current tags, are not dismantled, are operable, and   are parked on paved surfaces.


  1. My neighbor is taking up all the street parking with their cars. Is this a violation?

All vehicles parked on the street must be operable and have current tags. There is no limit to the number of vehicles that may be parked legally on public streets. Vehicles must be moved every 48 hours. Please report any abandoned vehicles to our Code Enforcement Division.


  1. Does a business need a license?

All businesses must apply for a Use and Occupancy Permit as well as a Town of Bladensburg Business License which is renewable every year. This includes all home based businesses.


  1. How do I find out if a specific business is allowed in my neighborhood?

You may call our Code Enforcement Division to determine if a business can operate in your neighborhood.


  1. Do I need a license to rent my house?

Yes, a license is required to rent, however limited exemptions do apply. You must apply online for a rental license. Once an application is received, an inspection is conducted by the Enforcement division to determine if the property meets code requirements.


  1. How do you check to determine if a property is a rental?

You must submit a Maryland Public Information Act (MPIA) request to the Enforcement Division of Prince George’s County.


  1. To whom do I report a rental property operating without a license?

You may report unlicensed rental properties to 311 and the Enforcement Division will investigate.



  1. My neighbor is renting their basement and has 2 units, upstairs and downstairs. Is this legal?

Properties that have been converted without permits are illegal. Converted homes must have a valid Use and Occupancy Permit and meet current building/fire codes.


  1. Can I put in a 2nd kitchen for my tenant?

All additions, improvements or alterations must be done by permit. To report such work without permits, please report to 311 and or call the Inspections Division at 301-883-3830 to conduct an investigation.


  1. What is a Boarding House?

Definition: Boarding House, Lodging House- A residence building in which, as a home occupation and or compensation, lodging and meals are furnished to four (4) or more, but not exceeding nine (9) guests and containing not more than five (5) guest rooms.


  1. Can an LLC owned home become a Group Home in a residential neighborhood?

Yes, the State of Maryland licenses and inspects group homes no matter who owns the property.


  1. Can I have sheds on my property?

There are requirements of where sheds may be placed. Sheds exceeding 150 square feet require a permit. Sheds may not be used for dwellings. Any complaints of occupancy, extension cords for prolonged period of time, and other such complaints may be reported to the Town of Bladensburg Code Enforcement Division.